To View the Master Plan, download the file below
MECA, El Paso County and our many partners are attempting to address decades of neglect at Rainbow Falls when it was privately owned.
Through Commissioner Clark's leadership and support, we have completed the following:
1) Raised over $50,000 of private funds for restoration efforts. MECA raised over $5000 at Craftwood Inn fundraiser in Feb 2011.
2) Restored the overlook trail so it is totally accessible, providing a great view of the creek downstream and Manitou Springs.
3) Installed new trails along the creek that include several picnic tables along the trail.
4) Installed a new picnic area (Eagle Scout project)above the parking lot.
5) Expanded the parking lot which will be resurfaced and new guardrail installed in the next several weeks.
6) Removed a variety of accessible graffiti.
7) Installed a security camera to assist law enforcement with addressing the vandalism issues. Dozens of individuals were cited by deputies recently.
8) Coordinated with CDOT to obtain planning funds to address erosion issues and design a service road back to Rainbow Falls. The plan will be completed this spring.
9) Concrete Couch, a local non-profit, will install a creative kiosk this Spring that will feature the historical and cultural aspects of Rainbow Falls.
10) The County will coordinate educational tours of the Falls this summer.
11) Manitou Environmental Citizens Action has coordinated multiple cleanups involving hundreds of volunteers. The next cleanup is scheduled for April 21.
12) CDOT to restripe Manitou Ave leading to 24W with a bike path/lane in Spring of 2012.